This zoological park was established on 29 November 1921 by the then Governor, Uttar Pradesh, Sir Spencer Harcourt Butler to commemorate the arrival of the then Prince of Wales to Lucknow and named it "Prince of Wales Zoological Gardens". It covers an area of 29 hectares. Located in the year 2001, it was renamed the Lucknow Zoological Garden by the government, which was renamed in the year 2015 by Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Prani Udai, Lucknow.
It comes under the category of large zoo garden. The main objective of the zoological park is to entertain the audience as well as create awareness and interest in wildlife and environment among the visitors, wildlife conservation, education, research and the endangered wildlife. Loss of living beings. At the same time, the general public has to be aware of wildlife conservation and environment and make them aware of their participation and duties.
Each year about 1.5 million visitors come to visit the zoological park, of which the number of children is about 5 lakhs. Watching the various wildlife while visiting the zoological park is the center of attraction. Seeing enthusiastically, they are curious about their routine.